Education Adviser- Māori Engagement | Northland
|Position Type:||Full Time|
|Attachments:|| JD - Education Adviser Maori Engagement 2081.pdf (PDF, 193KB)
|Application Close Date:||28-Jun-2018|
Education Adviser- Māori Engagement
Based in Tai Tokerau, Northland
‘A vast area full of contrasts; where the people, history, culture and scenic beauty will have you wishing you could stay longer.' www.northlandnz.com
The Education Adviser's core role and function is to ensure that sector leaders and the communities in which they operate have access to the expertise, programmes and resources that will allow our children and young people to reach their full potential. The role will have a particular focus on supporting the individual student pathway for Māori children and young people, particularly those who are disengaged from education. You will ensure Māori children and young people, parents, whānau and iwi perspectives are considered and embedded in programmes of work, new initiatives, implementation and change in order to deliver education success.
This role is located in the Tai Tokerau regional office. The Ministry of Education's regional offices are the key interface between the Ministry and early learning providers, schools and kura. This role also gives you the opportunity to directly work with Communities of Learning | Kāhui Ako, Boards of Trustees, and Education leaders on strengthening education performance.
Your key priorities will include:
- Ensure the interests, aspirations and needs of Māori children and young people, and their parents and whānau are integrated into local strategies to improve Māori student progress and achievement.
- Develop and deliver local initiatives that provide tailored support, advice and guidance to Māori children, young people and their whānau.
- Work with local managers to inspire, motivate and influence across the education and learning support teams in ways that effectively embed Māori learner and parent and whānau perspectives into business practices and priority work streams.
- Identify and engage other agencies and providers to ensure Māori children and young people are able to attend and participate in education.
- Collect, understand and share intelligence about the interests and aspirations of Māori children, young people and their whānau.
- Work with colleagues to connect these with the interests of iwi, employers and the community.
You will bring to this role:
- Demonstration of a deep understanding of the aspirations, interests and needs of Māori children and young people, parents, whānau and iwi
- Experience and knowledge of effective engagement strategies, at all levels, within the region
- Experience in evidence-based decision making and intervention logic
- Strength in Te Reo Māori and tikanga Māori is desirable
- Knowledge of Te Marautanga o Aotearoa, Te Aho Matua and/or Māori learning pedagogies
- A tertiary qualification or equivalent
If you have the skills and passion to deliver in this rewarding role then please click on the ‘Apply Online' button or go to the Careers at the Ministry of Education link at our website: www.education.govt.nz for job descriptions and to submit an application. Or for further information please contact Amanda Walker 09 436 8039.
Applications close on 28 June 2018