Software Engineer | Wellington
|Position Type:||Full Time|
|Attachments:|| Job Description # 2167 Software Engineer.pdf (PDF, 548KB)
|Application Close Date:||19-Oct-2018|
At the Ministry of Education, our people shape an education system that delivers equitable and excellent outcomes. Our sights are set on ensuring our education system serves every individual child and young person fairly, and creates the best foundation for equal opportunity. Our organisation is full of hugely talented people, from a wide range of backgrounds. They work collaboratively, setting goals and reaching them, to shape a world-leading education system. Our people are broadening their own horizons and, ensuring our education system is equipped to broaden the horizons of our children and young people, thus ensuring the best possible future for New Zealand.
About our group
The Web and Applications Services team provides Business Analysis, Development, and Testing for priority business applications. We ensure that the applications used throughout the ministry (and increasingly by many in the wider Education Sector) are available when they are needed, are reliable and are of high quality. We provide resources, including staff, for projects. Once a project is delivered the Web and Applications Services team is responsible for supporting it.
About the role
The Ministry of Education has an exciting opportunity for someone starting out in their Software Engineer career to join the Ministry's Web Services Team, This team is part of the Ministry's ICT group based in Wellington.
You will be responsible for producing and implementing high quality digital solutions and supporting and maintaining the portfolio of existing products. You will also help provide expertise and advice within the team and across the business to enable the Ministry to be the best of class in the digital space.
We have many exciting projects on the go. So, if you are well read (or experienced) in agile methodologies and are embarking on your career journey and hungry to learn more, then we are keen to meet you.
As a Software Engineer in the Ministry of Education you will:
- Work with the business to develop high quality digital solutions, along with fixing and improving our products
- Develop technical improvements to all systems managed by the Web Services Team, with a focus on cloud digital technologies
- Work across a wide variety of interesting projects
- Enjoy a modern working environment in which effort, a sense of humour and a positive attitude are highly valued
- Work with like-minded colleagues who share information and focus on business goals
You will have the following skills:
- Ability to communicate technical requirements to IT providers and developers
- Experience designing or the implementation of public facing REST APIs
- Knowledge of cloud based services in particular.
- Knowledge of building AWS Deployment Pipelines
- Knowledge of web accessibility and the New Zealand government web and usability standards
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, at both a technical level and a general business level
- Exceptional time management, organisation and planning skills.
You should have the following qualifications and experience:
- A relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent proven experience
If you'd like to bring your skills to a rewarding role within an organisation that's continuously reaching goals and striving for a better future for New Zealand, we'd love to hear from you.
Are you ready to make a difference?
There is more information in the position description attached, please review and if this opportunity interests you and you meet the requirements, please apply now using the apply online button.
For further information please contact Kim McGregor firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on 19th October 2018.